Welcome to the wonderful world of lion’s mane mushroom supplements! As the name might otherwise suggest, it is nothing to be afraid of!
Lion’s mane is also known as ‘monkey’s head mushroom’. It is now popularly known as a culinary and medicinal variant of mushrooms to the world. The medicinal and health benefits that it has for the brain and nerves are what make it worth it 1.
Over the years, Lion’s mane has become increasingly popular, thanks to its many health benefits, such as stimulating the immune system, aiding digestion, and promoting cognitive functions like memory and concentration.
In this dosage guide, we shall explore the basics of lion’s mane mushroom supplements and provide helpful tips on how to get the most out of taking them.
We will also discuss the potential health benefits, how to take them, and tips for finding the highest quality products incorporated with lion’s mane mushrooms! So, let’s get started and learn more about the exciting world of neurotrophic mushroom products!
BENEFIT’S OF LION’S MANE MUSHROOMS
Lion’s Mane Mushroom is one of nature’s most potent and health-boosting natural supplements. This incredible mushroom has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine to help support healthy brain function and a strong immune system2.
It is packed with powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that can help protect against oxidative stress and improve overall health. Lion’s Mane food and dietary supplements provide an easy and convenient way to get the incredible benefits of this mushroom without having to hunt for it in the wild3.
The supplement is made from dried Lion’s Mane mushroom extract, providing a concentrated dose of the beneficial compounds. Other mushroom experts create a tincture out of the dried fruiting body of this variety.
The supplement can be taken daily to potentially provide a range of health benefits, including improved energy levels, better cognitive performance, and a stronger immune system. In addition to its many health benefits, Lion’s Mane mushroom is an excellent source of dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals4.
With all these cited benefits, it’s no wonder that Lion’s Mane Mushroom supplements have become such a popular supplement choice for those looking to improve their overall well-being.
USE & DOSAGE
Hericium erinaceus or Lion’s Mane is a medicinal mushroom that has been used in Chinese and Japanese traditional medicine for centuries. Daily dosage is generally recommended for 2 months after which a break can be taken for a week or more5.
Over time the dosage should be tailored to the individual, as some people may be more sensitive to the effects of the mushroom than others. Here at Dr. Mush Me, we recommend taking our Lion’s Mane tincture daily. The guidance is 2-3 full droppers per day, each dropper can hold 0.6ml of extract. Convenient enough for you, eh?
When taking Lion’s Mane mushroom, it is best to start with a lower dose and increase gradually. This will help the body to adapt to the mushroom and ensure that the desired effects are achieved. After the dose is placed under the tongue, hold it there for 1 minute or more before swallowing any excess. Do not use any more than 2ml of this product per day.
When taking Lion’s Mane mushrooms, it is important to ensure that the supplement is of high quality. It should be free from additives and contaminants and grown in a controlled environment.
Thankfully, Dr. Mush Me guarantees the absence of any filler or unnecessary additives such as grains which can be found in other lower-quality supplements. Don’t just take our word for it, try out our quality mushroom products for yourself!
UNDERSTANDING INGREDIENTS: TINCTURE VS POWDER
Understanding the difference between lion’s mane powder and tinctures is important for making the most out of this versatile mushroom. Lion’s mane powder and tinctures are made from the mushroom’s dried fruiting body and are both rich in beta-glucans6.
The extraction method however is crucial to the quality of the end product, which is why brands that specialize in Ultrasonic Assisted Extraction are the ultimate choice for those seeking a high-quality supplement.
The extract form is believed to be more effective at providing the mushroom’s purported health benefits than the powder form. Lion’s mane drops can be taken as a dietary supplement daily and added to food or drinks like smoothies and tea7.
Mushroom extract is typically applied under the tongue and so allows for quick absorption of the beneficial compounds into the body. This eliminates the digestive process which can break down some of your supplement before it even has time to take effect.
TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE RIGHT LION’S MANE SUPPLEMENT
A nootropic mushroom is a type of mushroom that is known to provide cognitive benefits and improve mental performance. The Lion’s Mane mushroom (Hericium Erinaceus) is one of the most popular nootropic mushrooms. It is a type of edible mushroom native to North America, Europe, and parts of Asia.
The Lion’s Mane mushroom has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries to boost brain power, improve memory, and prevent age-related cognitive decline. It contains several active compounds, including hericenones and erinacines, which are thought to be responsible for its cognitive-enhancing effects.
So what should you look out for when purchasing?
- Ultrasonic Assisted Extraction is the highest level and quality of extraction in the nootropic mushroom supplement industry. Check the extraction method of the product you are eyeing before committing to any company or brand.
- Supplement Laboratory Testing is essential in any marketplace, and the mushroom extract is no different. Such tests confirm the absence of heavy metals or unnecessary dangerous chemicals or pesticides in the product.
- Company Reviews & Reputation is another important factor when choosing which place to buy lion’s mane or other mushroom supplements from. A trustworthy brand will highlight its reviews & encourage potential customers to read up about its brand reputation.
- Method Of Supplement Use is one way to choose the right product for your individual needs. Dr. Mush Me, for example, is one of the few mushroom companies to offer a sublingual method of supplementation on the market.
With all these benefits in store for you, what are you waiting for? Just dive into researching the right benefits for you, choose your mode of supplementation, and add this wonderful, power-packed mushroom to your diet right away!
- Kushairi N, Phan CW, Sabaratnam V, David P, Naidu M. Lion’s Mane Mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (Bull.: Fr.) Pers. Suppresses H2O2-Induced Oxidative Damage and LPS-Induced Inflammation in HT22 Hippocampal Neurons and BV2 Microglia. Antioxidants. 2019 Aug 1;8(8):261.
- Lai PL, Naidu M, Sabaratnam V, Wong KH, David RP, Kuppusamy UR, et al. Neurotrophic properties of the Lion’s mane medicinal mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (Higher Basidiomycetes) from Malaysia. Int J Med Mushrooms. 2013;15(6):539–54.
- Li IC, Lee LY, Tzeng TT, Chen WP, Chen YP, Shiao YJ, et al. Neurohealth Properties of Hericium erinaceus Mycelia Enriched with Erinacines. Behav Neurol. 2018 May 21;2018:5802634.
- Chong PS, Fung ML, Wong KH, Lim LW. Therapeutic Potential of Hericium erinaceus for Depressive Disorder. Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Dec 25;21(1):163.
- Rossi P, Cesaroni V, Brandalise F, Occhinegro A, Ratto D, Perrucci F, et al. Dietary Supplementation of Lion’s Mane Medicinal Mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (Agaricomycetes), and Spatial Memory in Wild-Type Mice. Int J Med Mushrooms. 2018;20(5):485–94.
- Zhang CC, Cao CY, Kubo M, Harada K, Yan XT, Fukuyama Y, et al. Chemical Constituents from Hericium erinaceus Promote Neuronal Survival and Potentiate Neurite Outgrowth via the TrkA/Erk1/2 Pathway. Int J Mol Sci. 2017 Jul 30;18(8):1659.
- Diling C, Xin Y, Chaoqun Z, Jian Y, Xiaocui T, Jun C, et al. Extracts from Hericium erinaceus relieve inflammatory bowel disease by regulating immunity and gut microbiota. Oncotarget. 2017 Sep 6;8(49):85838–57.